Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Just the Kitchen Sink

I have one of those CORAIN sinks. When we remodeled our kitchen every one told us not to get one but I just would not listen. I could not imagine that a surface would really be that hard to clean. Seriously, I'm the lady that wrote a 20 page paper on how to clean your carpet in college. Surly, I can clean a silly sink...right?
Wrong!
At first, I thought we would just use Mr. Clean's magic erasers but that only gets you so far. And evidently you cannot use the old cleaning methods of BLEACH since it is too abrasive. Any way, my sink ended up looking like this...

Can you hear Earnest "Ew-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w!"? Gross. Right? I read online that you could use Bar Keeper's Friend to clean your sink up to twice a week. That is a WHOLE-LOTTA scrubbing going on and not really anything I want to have time for!! But I tried it and it worked okay. It did make my sinks yellowish though and it they had to be elbow greased daily. There are so many other things I would rather be doing than cleaning.  So, one day when I had run out of Bar Keeper's Friend I got an idea...OXY CLEAN. I have no idea why I decided it would be a good idea to use it but I figured it surely wouldn't hurt anything. I was working on the theory that if it is safe for my clothes it should be safe for the Corian (as far as I can tell there is no damage to the surface, it is still smooth and white). So, here is how I cleaned my sink now... 
Scrub Daily and BRIEFLY with a little blue scrubby.  (It really did nothing for this DIRTY sink but I wanted you to see how well the OXY Clean works!)
I am only cleaning half in this picture, but sprinkle your OXY Clean on a damp sink 
Scrub in a circular motion to create a PASTE add water as need but do not rinse yet!  
Look at how clean that is! If your sink is as nasty as mine go ahead and repeat (believe me you will be glad you did!).



Everything came really clean! And after I repeated the process you could not see any of the stain anymore. Is it the PERFECT method...well no but it works wonder and if you already have OXY Clean for your laundry, well, that is one less thing to buy!
AND here is why I am sharing this with you...I took the pictures for this "tutorial" two week ago (say that 5 times fast). Here is my kitchen sink 2 weeks and 3 days later. I have NOT used any chemicals (well, my liquid dish soap sometimes) to clean this surface!
Before VS After (plus 2 weeks & 3 days)

It must repel stains or something. Again, it is not perfect but it works for me. After looking all over the web for ideas I think this is a pretty good method. Would love to know if it works for you too!!
HUGS~
Jenni