Monday, June 27, 2011

Mama Monday Educational Edition

The BANG Game (for Reading)

Welcome to my first Educational Tutorial! If you have toddler, younger school age children, or just want to get a jump start on early reading (which I actually recommend) this is a post you will not want to miss! AND it also fits in with the America the Beautiful theme that I will be continuing for the rest of the week! AND if you are not already excited this is a craft that you can do with supplies you already have at home and is TOTALLY green! WOOT! WOOT!
Let's HOP to it!
Supplies needed:
Scrapbook paper (or scrap paper, have your kids decorate a piece of paper, use old wrapping paper, whatever you want!)
Empty Pringles Can (believe me one you pop you just can't stop so it will be empty before you know it)
A piece of yarn or sting (something to make a "fuse")
Glue of choice (I will be using a glue stick)
Clear contact paper or packing tape (I only have packing tape here but will be going to buy the contact paper this afternoon)
Mini Alphabet and/or Sight word Flashcards (just google the flash cards you are looking for and it will bring up a ton of choices but I used the ones found here and here.)
Scissors or paper cutter (I am using my paper cutter that I bought a while back for like $5 works well when I need it)
A marker (or letter stickers or use your cutting machine if you have one to make the word BANG)

Go on and gather all of your supplies and we will make this project together! Go ahead, now, I will wait...
Step 1. Grab that empty Pringles can and rinse it out. It won't hurt anything I promise.
Step 2. Measure your can from silver rim to sliver rim  like pictured, mine is is EXACTLY 8 inches long but measure because they come in different sizes! NOW measure around and add 1 inch to your measurement. Mine is 9.5 inches + 1 inch = 10.5 inches.

Step 3. Get your paper cutter and choose your scrapbook paper and measure the dimensions and cut.

Step 4. Apply your Glue and stick to the Pringles can.
Step 5. Tape down edge OR if you are using the contact paper cut the same size as scrapbook paper and apply on top to provide a protective covering for your game. Get all of your air bubbles out weather using tape or contact paper.
Voila-Can is DONE.

Step 6. NOW for the lid-what ever you decided to use for a "fuse" grab that and cut a small hole in the top of the lid and glue in your fuse. (staying green I am using some of the decorations from the graduation party we hosted. If you would like to see those decorations click here. The decorations were really amazing if you don't mind me tooting my own horn. TOOT! TOOT!)




Step 7. Cut apart your flash cards and put them inside of the can.


Step 8. If you use the flash cards I did there are a few blank cards. Write the word "BANG" on 2 or 3 of the blank cards and put those inside the can as well.


Step 9. SHAKE CAN!
Step 10. NOW IT IS TIME TO PLAY! Take turns pulling out and "reading" the sight words. Keep all the cards that are read correctly. If you read one incorrectly place it back in the can and try again next time. If you pull out a BANG card, place all of your card back in the can and start again. GREAT PRACTICE!





I made one game for sight words, alphabet and numbers, shapes and colors, animals. The possibilities are endless and the price cannot be beat. I did not use any tutorial for this. I have a Remedial Reading certification with my teaching degree and this is one of the games we use to help in remedial reading. I think it is an excellent resource for kids learning to read as well!
I hope you make one for your kids. Let me know if you do I would love to see what you all come up with!
There will be another Mama Monday Baby Edition later today that is also a cool tutorial. So, see you then!
~HUGS~

Visit thecsiproject.com

7 comments:

  1. You are so clever and inspiring, what a neat idea. thanks for sharing with the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat idea to encourage kids at an early age! I agree completely you should give your kids a headstart for school!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one smart mama! I would love it if you would link up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now: http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/06/tuesday-confessional-link-party.html
    ~Macy from Confessions of a SAHM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is SUCH a fun idea to keep kids interested in an educational activity! You could also use with with older kids and their math flash cards!

    LOVE IT!
    Amber
    http://amber-has-an-idea.blogspot.com/
    stop by if you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing. sounds like a great idea for early start in reading : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, especially for around the 4th of july. Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! Thank you for linking to Sew Woodsy last week! We hope you will join us again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Leave the Frog some love today! We love getting feedback! And we personally reply to all comments via email if your id allows us to. It may not be an instant response but we always respond! So leave us some love and let's be friends!